Now you can join the thousands of people that are bronzing baby shoes and similar objects, as a hobby or as a business, with our new Baby Shoe Bronzing Kits.
We offer two kits, a complete starter kit, which includes everything required to begin to bronze parts, or a mini kit, which includes the chemicals only, and assumes you already have such items as a DC power supply, airbrush, buffing materials etc., and heaters.
The kits include 1.5 gallons of plating solution and 2 gallon tanks, large enough to plate 2 shoes at a time.
The kit can be used to bronze almost anything that is non-conductive, including baby shoes, plastic parts, leather items, fabric, flowers, plants, butterflies etc.
The steps to plate baby shoes are as follows:
- Wash the shoe and laces separately in detergent and allow to dry completely.
- Tie the laces, and glue them into their final position. Cut off any loose stitching, etc.
- Affix a length of bare copper wire (not included) to the shoe.
- Dip the shoe in the sealer solution for 30 minutes. Allow to dry. Dip again briefly and allow to dry.
- Spray the shoe with Silvaspray Conductive Paint, using an airbrush, and allow to dry.
- Hang the shoe into the bright acid copper plating solution, attach the power supply, and plate for approx 1 hour. Remove and sand down any rough spots. Continue plating for 3-5 hours, removing periodically and sanding down the rough spots. Remove and rinse the part.
- At this stage, you have several options:
- Buff the shoe to a shine, degrease and then hang the shoe into the included Bronze Plating System and plate for approx 10 minutes to give the part a real bronze finish. Dip in the sealer to protect the part.
- Immerse the copper plated part in the included bronzing solution, which antiques the copper and gives a bronze look. Then buff the high spots to give an aged appearance. Dip in the sealer to protect the part.
- Using one of our other plating kits, you could also nickel, gold or chrome plate the shoe.
The Mini Kit Includes:
- 5 x 2 Gal Plastic Tanks and Lids
- 1.5 Gallon Copper Crystals and Brighteners
- 2 x Copper Anodes
- 1.5 Gallon Bronze Plating Solution
- 2 x Stainless Steel Anodes
- 2 x Agitation Pumps
- 1 Pack of Degreasing Chemical
- 8oz Silvaspray Conductive Paint
- 2 Quarts Caswell Sealer Concentrate (Makes 1 gallon)
- 8oz Bronzing Solution (Makes 4 gallons)
- 1 x Caswell Plating Manual
- NO HEATERS INCLUDED
You will require, and may purchase separately:
- 5 amp DC Rectifier
- Airbrush or similar tool
- Buffing Equipment
Both the copper and bronze plating tanks operate at 70-80 deg F. Heaters are only required if plating in a cold environment.
The kit includes enough copper anodes to plate approx 40 sq ft of parts (100 pairs of shoes), and enough bronze solution to plate approx 200 sq ft (500 pairs of shoes). Additional copper anodes can be purchased from us. When the bronze is depleted, you will need to purchase more bronze solution.
Contains Hazardous Goods. Shipping restrictions apply. Ground shipping only to the Continental USA. Please call +1 315 946 1213 or contact us for rates to other locations.